Friday, August 20, 2010

Awww, Nice Doggie.



I don't have a great history with pit bulls. One tried to kill my chihuahua, Pete, a few years ago on Mother's Day. What a gift THAT day was! A Sunday visit to the nearest emergency vet (40 miles away) and $1,500+ later, Pete lives! I still can't believe my husband went for the surgery vs. putting him down.
This latest pit (my son rescues them from the pound - he's not allowed to go back anymore) is smaller than the others, and I must say, ridiculously sweet. He got this one as a puppy and has raised it as a family dog. I know, I know, BELIEVE ME, I know. The one that tried to eat Pete was a nice dog and until the moment she snapped, a friend of Pete. Keila was able to have a couple of good years beyond the time she was rescued from being scheduled to be put down at the pound, but in the end, she just wasn't a dog that could be trusted around anyone, human or canine.
But here is Venus. I tried not to like her. Maybe she was just tasting me a little before she ripped my throat out. She kept bringing me her toys to throw and sat on my feet to be petted wherever I sat down. I like dogs, whatever the kind. I just don't want to bring this one to MY house even if she's sweet. I might taste like chihuahua.

3 comments:

Janet said...

she's a big one! I saw your comment over on Mrs. G's about your favorite song being Ain't No Rest for the Wicked by Cage the Elephant...LOVE that song, too!

Mrs. G. said...

My daughter volunteered at the Humane Society for two years and swears that Pitt Bulls are a wonderful, terribly misunderstood breed. I look at them and see fuzzy adorable, but I'm still scared of them.

Jayme said...

Hey Janet - thanks! Mrs. G, I know what you mean. When I feel that HUGE head and see that GIANT mouth, I'm all too aware of what that dog could do to me and I can't help but be afraid. Also, I just can't forget what poor little Pete looked like after just one bite. It literally bit him in two. I still can't believe he lived, and kept his leg and doesn't even limp. The worst part? He LOVED Keila and they had played together all the time for years. It's just the destruction of that breed's bite that makes them so dangerous.